Common Symbols in Logo Design, Their Advantages and Disadvantages
Language is the main medium of communication, but in different parts of the world people talk in different languages. Big brads sell product and services all over the world and they need a universal language that can help them connect with the global audience. That is why, designers use different types of symbols in custom logo design. Symbols break the language barrier and convey the brand message seamlessly.
Take a look at the different brand logos and you will realize that same symbols have been used in various companies’ logos. Here is a list of most commonly used symbols in logo design.
1. Shields and Crests- Mostly sports teams use these symbols in their logo. Shield and crests are associated with tradition and aristocracy.
2. Animals- Designers use almost every animal to relay a brand message to the audience. Meaning of the logo depends on the animal used in it. For instance, if you see a horse, then it stands for progress and indomitable spirit. On the other hand, a lion stands for courage and royalty.
3. Simple Geometric Shapes- Some of the simple geometric shapes that you can see are squares, rectangles, circles, triangles and polygons. Each shape conveys a different meaning to the viewers.
4. Arrow- Arrow stands for forward movement. Generally, arrow is placed either horizontally or vertically in a logo and it can point both upwards and downwards.
5. Globe- AT&T uses a globe symbol in their logo. It shows that the company serves consumers all over the world.
6. Heart- Companies related to medical industry use heart shape in their corporate logo. It conveys a sense of caring.
7. Tree- Environment related businesses use tress in logo design. Tree stands for strength and longevity and it also gives the company a “nature friendly” brand identity.
Benefit of Using Common Symbols- When viewers see certain symbols, they associate it with certain objects and feelings. A symbol based logo helps you establish your brand value quicker and communicates with people all over the world. Even if you don’t tell people what services you offer, they can understand your business seeing your logo. For instance, using a coffee mug in your logo, you can immediately inform people that you have a café.
Disadvantage of Common Symbols- A brand logo should be unique, but common symbols are used in several companies’ logos. Therefore, if you design a common symbol based logo, your company may lose the brand USP. For instance, both Pan Am and AT&T use a globe symbol in their logo.
However, that does not mean you should avoid symbols altogether. Use relevant symbols in your corporate logo, but set it apart from other companies in your niche. If your company doesn’t have a logo yet, hire a company for affordable logo design services.